Kevin Langdon, P.O. Box 795, Berkeley, CA 94701; November 17, 1992
To the Triple Nine Executive Committee:
Here are my responses to the items listed in Cyd's ExCom Memo of 10/16:
1. I vote to officially change TNS' SAT cutoff to 1470.
2B. There doesn't seem to be a financial reason not to mail a single issue of Vidya to Minerva and Cincinnatus members, but we need to have the Editor produce such an issue in order to do this. Dennis?
3. I am very concerned about the fact that there appear to be continuing problems with the vital functions performed by our principal appointive officers.
Dennis and Kjeld, please let us know whether:
1. you're interested in accepting the responsibilities of your offices and performing their duties in a timely manner, or
2. we should call for volunteers who will accept these responsibilities.
Cyd tells me that Tim Hardy has removed himself from consideration for appointment as Financial Officer and that John Cooper has volunteered for this job. I think we are very fortunate to have such a volunteer to step in to continue the work of this office. John attends our annual meeting regularly, organized this year's meeting, and is the sort of person I'd feel comfortable entrusting the society's funds to.
4.2. I'm glad an ad is on its way into the Mensa Bulletin. Please send in your votes for my motion for four insertions. (I vote yes.)
4.6. I have no objection to the ExCom's putting the question of an officer's removal to the membership without removing him or her from office in the interim, but I'd also like to see machinery for the members to do it themselves, by the usual route: a petition signed by the square root of the membership.
7. I would be interested, at some point, in taking on the task of producing an issue of Vidya. I have an idea for a theme: ``Models of Mind''; I'd be quite interested to see the material that would arrive in response to a call for papers on this subject; I think they could be assembled into an issue that our members would find stimulating and thought-provoking.
Archive of High-IQ Society Politics
High IQ Societies
Consciousness and Mind
Polymath Systems Home Page